inspiriting you to live your authentic life

Asking for help

When I was a high school senior my boyfriend, knowing I was a pretty good seamstress, asked me to make him a jacket. With zipper, cuffs, a collar and such, a jacket is challenging, especially on brushed corduroy.  But I was ready, picked out the pattern, bought and prepared the fabric, cut out the gorgeous deep brown fabric and set about making what promised to be a show-stopper. I followed the instructions to the letter, except when I carefully sewed the right sleeve into the left sleeve hole. Not only had I sewn the main seam, but I stitched a line about 1/4" from it in order to reinforce the shoulder. I was devastated. I pouted. For about 3 months.


Not only did I have to correct the mistake to go on (and ripping out a seam on fabric with "nap" can frazzle it), but for some reason I hung the thing over my bedroom door, smacking me with my failure every time I entered.

It took my Mom finally asking, "Would you like me to tear out that sleeve?" when she tired of looking at the jacket collecting dust. First I was shocked because I hadn't even thought of asking for help as an option, and then I was relieved to finish the thing that hung over me (literally) for so long.

Making change is like making a jacket. We can't give up when it's difficult, even with the threat of a frazzled seam. And sometimes we can't find our way unless we ask for (or someone offers) help. Oh, yeah one of the tricky things is to let someone help instead of saying, "Oh no, I'll be fine."

No comments:

Post a Comment