inspiriting you to live your authentic life

Which side of the pole will you pick?

Emotional 𖤓

There's an awesome bike path close to us that has a spot on it where the turns are kinda tricky, you've got to move slowly and still stay balanced, and if I'm not clear which side of the metal post that symbolically halves the path for comings and goings, I am bound to run into it. I had to learn to make a clear decision on which side of the pole I was going to use to enter the path or I'd have a near accident every time. Life and change are a lot like that.


A friend stopped by today to talk about her next big professional thing. She's choosing between starting her own business and joining another company. I couldn't help pull out my bicycle pole story. The problem with not making a decision about what side of the pole is when you crash into the middle of your own indecision. Try working with a potential client for your new business only to find a great opportunity of a job later that afternoon. Where will you spend your time? Researching and doing the work for the client, or beefing up the resume, doting over a cover letter and finally getting it into the mail at 4:57? Even if we work 24 hours a day we only have so much capacity and it's where we spend our time that gets the best results.

It's valuable for me to think about my decisions, but not productive to avoid them. And if there are obstacles in the path, all the better I'm clear what side I'm passing on. It helps me miss the pole and march forward with more confidence. Go me.

No comments:

Post a Comment