inspiriting you to live your authentic life

Finding balance by prioritizing what's important

Emotional 𖤓 Social 𖤉

"You know," he says so no one can hear "the lessons we learn here in class are good for work, but they make a difference at home too."

"Wow," says me, "Can't tell you how much that means."

"What you say about change here," pointing to his notebook, leaving his eyes there. "It happened in my family. I was spending most of my time at home on my phone. You know I like to keep up on my friends and am pretty social. I had trouble putting it away." 

He looks me in the eye. 

"My marriage was all but done--no quality time with my girls, including my wife, and she was usually unhappy with me. We yelled a lot. Her words felt accusing and my reaction was defiant." 

He never says she gave him an ultimatum, nor much more detail, and considering the circumstance, I am careful not to pry. I am covering up how baffled I am he is telling me such things. 

"It took me four months to stop. No kidding." He shows his embarrassment and frustration. "Even though I wanted to save my family it took me that long to stop, really stop." 

"Wow," I say because I don't know a more appropriate response. 

"And now I don't care much to look, maybe once or twice a day. It saved my marriage, and it wasn't easy. But EVERYTHING is different now. We are close again, all of us." 

"It sounds heroic." 

"It was the hardest change I've ever made." 

No comments:

Post a Comment