inspiriting you to live your authentic life

Passing out lollipops

Emotional 𖤓    Social 𖤉

There was a mysterious and delightful email in my inbox this morning and Saturday’s leisure allowed me to follow its trail. While I didn't recognize the sender’s name or address (nor anything on his LinkedIn page), based on what he mentioned in the text he obviously knew me. He mentioned having read a piece I wrote that inspired him, he knew about my writer’s hat and was using a one-page instruction I peddle in my classes outlining key actions for self-care. Following it has made a difference in his life. There was a piece of me that felt badly I couldn't remember this man, but there was a larger piece that was blown away because a person I touched, likely teaching a college course, was living better because of a connection with me.


It made me think of DrewDudley’s TED video “Leading with Lollipops.” In it he tells the story of a chance connection he made years before while doing a volunteer assignment during college registration. He was being his engaging self, making jokes and handing out lollipops when an encounter with a panicky freshman made an unlikely difference that changed the course of her life. His point is that we can (and do) make a difference with any or every encounter.

Once again I was reminded, my actions (can) have impact, and if what I send out sticks, I want it to be a piece of my best. It inspires me to “bring it” to every interaction and it makes me want to carry along real lollipops just to keep me on on track.

Social 𖤉
Spiritual 𖧏


No comments:

Post a Comment