inspiriting you to live your authentic life

Bearing witness

I enjoy weddings because of the profound thought and deep feelings they evoke. Yesterday's was no exception. In the late afternoon contrast of hot sun and deep shade I sat in a white plastic chair and watched the bride's sister walk up the grassy aisle, trying desperately not to cry. Her emotions lodged in my throat as she passed and I was struck at how quickly I was wrestled to tears myself.

 She joined the poised groom and other attendants at the simple alter under the walnut tree at the front. The bride's full-length emerald green dress cast with the purples and blues of her entourage sent murmurs into the sky. The officiant was relaxed and engaging; at one point she asked the bride and groom to face the audience and look at the faces of those who had come to celebrate and support them on their marriage journey. When the rings were presented the onlookers were asked to send uplifting thoughts and prayers to bless them.  The magic of the wedding ceremony, I realized, is the simple act of bearing witness to the power of love and intention to hang in there no matter what life brings; it is bringing together people who support that intention.

In the afterglow of this joyful celebration I'm still ruminating on the potency of bearing witness; for using it for other things in our lives. I'm wondering if making changes and choosing new directions could be more successful if we gathered together our friends and family, told them of our intentions, asked for their blessings and support and danced the night away to seal the deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment