inspiriting you to live your authentic life

Choose fearlessness


"As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

I've been thinking a lot about the impact I have on others since I read John Daido Loori's words in The Zen of Creativity. Because I teach public university classes I meet as many as 100 new students/month; I am sensitive to what I leave behind. Loori's words have been lingering for some time.

My own fear as a teacher might sound something like
  • "will people like me,
  • will what I say be worthwhile,
  • will I appear stupid,
  • will I be enough"
Showing up with fear could convince me to
  • say what people like to hear
  • be careful what I say, withhold 
  • try to exert some authority or demand some respect
Showing up with fear might create
  • a vanilla classroom where people fall asleep
  • an audience where learners read between the lines of my hesitation and write me off as phony or untrustworthy
Showing up fearless might have me
  • be totally honest
  • take risks
  • be vulnerable
Showing up fearless would likely cause others to
  • be totally honest
  • take risks
  • be vulnerable
Of course I want to be without fear. My best classroom experiences happen when we're all fearless. Then we can talk about what's really important, and perhaps all learn something. The training I am currently doing with manufacturing leaders requires fearlessness because they work in an environment traditionally paralyzed by fear. All of the improvements they need to make to meet tomorrow's demand will require some fearlessness--willing to take a risk, try something new, challenge yesterday's performance. If they are fearful, their disappointing results will tell. When I model fearlessness in the classroom they learn tips for being fearless on the job.

But what about showing up without fear everyday, in every opportunity, every conversation. Lester Bangs (Almost Famous) said "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone else when you're being uncool." We show up trying hard to be cool, afraid that somehow we aren't enough (smart, talented, attractive); filled with fear that someone will figure out our closely held secret. Or we're afraid we aren't safe, or we're afraid that we'll lose something. Like it or not, that guarded fear gets in the way of truly connecting with other people and getting what we want and need. 

People who are fearful perpetuate fear in the world. Fear can create hate and hate can create suffering.

In our own change efforts, fear shows up as the monkey mind that taunts us with our inadequacies. These compelling voices can blind us to the great opportunity right in front of us, and cause us to show up to the next one in a state of fear. It's difficult to sell our ideas when the presentation is laced with our anxiety. It's difficult to move forward when we're looking over our shoulder at what scares us.

And so seekers, I am working on fearlessness with a new mantra:
  • I am enough.
  • Based on my experience, what I know is uniquely me.
  • What I bring has the ability to make a difference in someone else's life.
  • I am enough.
  • I am fearless.
  • I will rejoice when my fearlessness entices others to be fearless.

No comments:

Post a Comment